Landscape Park Tivoli, Rožnik, Šišenski hrib Hill ,
The area, proclaimed as the landscape park in 1984, encompasses the city park Tivoli and woody Rožnik and Šišenski hrib Hills. The landscape park, which is an inseparable part of the identity of Ljubljana, measures 500 hectares. This is a protected area in which natural and cultural space elements are preserved and its social and recreational functions are equally important. On the western side of Šišenski hrib Hill, on the area of a former clay pit, a water surface, Koseze Pond, emerged which is an important habitat for some rare and endangered animal species and is one of rare stagnant waters in Ljubljana. On the eastern embankment, a wooden platform for sitting and enjoying beside the water is arranged.
The Church of Visitation of Mary at Rožnik
The Church of Visitation of Mary is located at the top of Rožnik, at Cankarjev vrh Hill. It is seen from the southern side of Ljubljana and the Ljubljana Marshes already from the distance, because of its position, its red façade and the lightning during the night.
The church was built already in the 16th century and got its today Baroque image in the 18th century (by the architect Candido Zulliani).
In 1747, a first small inn called Pri Matiji, was built below the church. A huge land with meadows, orchards and a garden belonged to the inn. A new inn opened its door to the guests in 1869 and is known today as Rožnik Inn.
In 1905, Carinthian Slovenian, Karel Bergman, bought the inn and five years later, writer Ivan Cankar settled and lived there until his death in 1917. The present owners and managers take care of the cultural heritage of the house and its surrounding. Slovenian cuisine is served at the inn.
Cankar's memorial room and a monument
Of the three important life stops of Slovenian writer Ivan Cankar, namely Vrhnika, Vienna and Ljubljana, the latter represents a special place. In the years between 1910 and 1917, Cankar found his second home at Rožnik. He enjoyed the hospitality of the Francotove family, the owners of the inn who had a special bond with Cankar since his student years. At first, he lived in the outbuilding opposite the inn, moreover, in a small house located right from the present Cankar's room, with a view of his birthplace, Vrhnika. He later moved to the first floor of the inn, with the view of the church at Rožnik. Numerous admirers of his work came to Rožnik in order to meet him in person and his fellow colleagues visited him as well.
In 1948, on the thirtieth anniversary of Cankar's death, the City Museum of Ljubljana opened Cankar's memorial room at Rožnik. It was decorated with some of the writer's personal belongings, cultural and historic documents and furniture which reflect the spirit of the beginning of the 20th century, with Cankar's first printings and translations of his works in other languages as well as with his selected works. The present room with a white chrysanthemum pattern on the green walls reminds the visitors of Cankar's literary masterpiece Bela krizantema (White Chrysanthemum).
In 1948, on the thirtieth anniversary of Cankar's death, the City Museum had the monument erected at Rožnik (made by Frančišek Smerdu). On this occasion, Rožnik was renamed into Cankarjev vrh Peak.
Emonska cesta Road and Trnovo Bridge used to be the only land connection of Trnovo and Krakovo with the inner city surrounded by wall. At the embankment of the Ljubljanica, Zoisov graben Ditch separated them from the city. The predecessors of the current bridge were wooden and narrow footbridges. In 1932 a new, reinforced concrete bridge was built, which has been preserved until today. It is 20 metres broad, coated with Podpeč limestone and equipped with four low pyramids at the end of the planks. The middle of the eastern plank is decorated with a tall obelisk and opposite is the statue of St. John the Baptist, made by the sculptor Nikolaj Pirnat. Birch-lined alley planted at the bridge represents an urban peculiarity on European and global scale.
The medieval Ljubljana citizens had already crossed the Ljubljanica River at the same spot where Triple Bridge is located today. The Old Bridge at the meander of the river was mentioned in the document from 1280, and was the first bridge located in Ljubljana after antiquity. The bridge was destroyed in the 1657 fire. It was replaced by a new wooden bridge. In 1842, the old wooden bridge became too dangerous to use, so a stone Špitalski most Bridge (by the architect Giovanni Picco) was built there and was officially named Frančev most Bridge, after the then archduke Franz Karl. After the devastating earthquake in 1895, Ljubljana received substantial financial support for the reconstruction of the city. It was then decided that the capacity of Špitalski most Bridge, which lasted the earthquake, was to be increased. Work did not start until the end of World War I. The project was assigned to architect Plečnik, who managed to keep the old bridge and ordered the building of two new bridges, one on the left side of the old bridge, and the second one on the right side, both intended for pedestrians only. All three bridges were designed in the same fashion, decorated with massive pillar fencing from artificial stone and connected with the lower regulation above the level of the Ljubljanica River. The three bridges were named Triple Bridge. In 1992, the Triple Bridge was thoroughly renovated.
Prešernov trg Square
Prešernov trg Square emerged from medieval crossroads in front of the city gates. It began acquiring its present image in the 17th century when the Franciscan Church of the Annunciation of Mary was built. The square was originally called Marijin trg (Mary's Square). Renovation of the square followed later. It was paved only in the middle of the 19th century, after city walls were demolished (also the nearby Špitale vrata Gates). Another important factor in the development of the square was the earthquake in 1895 which damaged medieval houses. City mansions were built there: Frisch House, Seunig House, Central Pharmacy, Urbanc Shop, Hauptmann House and Mayer Palace. In the first decade of the 20th century, Hauptmann House was renovated in Secession style. The same style was used for Urbanc House or former Centromerkur, the first supermarket in Ljubljana. Emporium shop is nowadays there. The central position at the square is occupied by Prešeren Monument, the work of Ivan Zajc, which was unveiled on 10 September 1905.