Mengeš, today a nicely developed town, is one of the oldest settlements in Slovenia. The mediaeval Mengeš was first mentioned in written sources in 1154 because of the castle where the Mengeš knight had his seat. The settlement was divided into Mali Mengeš or Farovška vas (the church owned most of the land there in the 14th century, thus the name farovška - parson's) and Veliki Mengeš or Gorenji Mengeš.
In the period of J. V. Valvasor, craftsmanship developed in the town, primarily pottery, stove making and straw weaving. Interestingly, there were 83 workshops and as many as 25 inns in Mengeš in the mid-19th century.
Mengeška godba - one of the oldest brass bands in Slovenia - has been active in Mengeš since 1884.
Mengeš Culture Centre
The main part of the Culture Centre is the hall, which has been hosting performances of Špas teater theatre in the past decade. Špas teater shows attract visitors from all over Slovenia.
Nowadays, the large complex barely resembles a castle, rather a neglected outbuilding, because the present owner is in a dispute with the municipality and uses the complex to dump waste material there. He also breeds goats which freely roam around the complex.
An inn with a soul is located in the marvellous surroundings below the top of Gobavica.
Mengeš Hut is located at the top of Gobavica which steeply ascends above Mengeš. It was opened already in 1954, but it soon became too small, so Jurček annex was built in 1962.
Rašica observation tower
At Vrh Staneta Kosca above the village of Rašica, a famous observation tower is located, offering views in all directions - over Ljubljana, Limbarska gora, Menina planina, the Kamnik-Savinja Alps, the Karavanke and the Julian Alps, all the way to the Polhov Gradec Hills and Nanos in the distance.
Mountain Hut of Rašiška četa
It was built in the memory of one of the first partisan companies in 1941 during World War II. It is open on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
Due to its elongated size, Dobeno is divided into Zgornje Dobeno, Srednje Dobeno and Spodnje Dobeno. The hilly village is a popular hiking point on the gentle ledges of the eastern slope of Rašica. The country characteristics of the village faded away as holiday cottages and residential houses prevail, only here and there a farm appears.
Dolga dolina ski slope ,
A small local ski slope of Trzin Ski Society.
Historical records tell us that the castle situated at the foot of Rašica was first mentioned in the 14th century and was built by the Lamberg family. It has had many different owners since then. The extensive interior equipment, including paintings, tapestries and wall paintings was 'lost' after World War II, because the castle was used for various purposes and activities.
At the castle, you can take a look at the wedding hall decorated with Jelovšek's frescoes, multi-purpose hall and castle courtyard with arcades .
The surroundings is nicely arranged, in a peaceful and dignified manner.
Church of St. Primus and Felician
The church is nicely renovated and located amid the plain on the right bank of the Pšata River. The church is a monument of art; it hosts concerts of choir and chamber music.
Mengeš Hunting Lodge at Gmajnica
Picnic place is beside it.
Sports park and Harmonija Sports Centre (Wellness)
The wellness centre was constructed under the principles of feng shui. It enables recreation and various wellness services on 5,000 m2 of indoor surfaces; it also has 12 hotel rooms, a restaurant and a café.
The Sports park extends between Mengeš Cultural Centre and Harmonija Sports Centre. It is nicely arranged and has numerous golf courses, as well as football, basketball and tennis grounds.
Church of St. Michael
The church is the oldest and most valuable monument of art in Mengeš, especially because of its 15th century Gothic presbytery with remarkable frescoes by Janez of Ljubljana. The older Romanesque design was replaced with a Gothic and later a Baroque one. The baptistery and confessional were made according to the plans of architect Jože Plečnik.
Birthplace and a monument of writer Janez Trdina
Trdina was born on 29 May 1830. This is also the day the Municipality of Mengeš celebrates its municipal holiday. Who is not familiar with Trdina's Fairytales and Stories about Gorjanci? The monument is placed near the Church of St. Michael.
Birthplace and monument of painter Franc Jelovšek
The monument to the father of Baroque painting in Carniola stands in front of the Church of St. Michael.
The hut of scouts detachment is located in a natural amphitheatre below Gobavica.