Church of Saints Peter and Paul
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul in Spodnja Slivnica is a building of extraordinary cultural and historical value. Indubitable peculiarity of the church is the star-vaulted Gothic presbytery with three decorative painted window openings at the sides and several layers of partially uncovered frescoes from around 1530.
Radenci Plain Landscape Park , ,
The Radenci Plain, southeast of Grosuplje, has been formed during a millennium of interaction between nature and people. Typical karst phenomena, such as powerful karst springs and sink holes can be found there. In spring and autumn, the plain becomes an intermittent lake. Winter with snow and ice gives it a special charm, while in summer, it thrives in wonderful colours. The plain is surrounded by steep forest slopes of the surrounding hills reaching as high as 300 metres and in its centre, the solitary hill of Kopanj is mysteriously rising. This area also hosts numerous rare and endangered plant and animal species. Due to the rich habitat and endangered species, the Radenci Plain has been included in the European ecological area of Natura 2000. The area of the Radenci Plain Landscape covers 16 square kilometres, while the plain itself is four kilometres long and one kilometre wide. The Radenci Plain was declared a landscape park in 2012.
Church of St. Margaret
The Chapel of St. Margaret in Velika Račna was first mentioned in 1433. It was built as a vow to keep the constant floods at bay. It was renovated during the Baroque period. The chapel includes the tomb of the aristocratic family Lazarini.
Siberian iris has a great symbolic character. Its natural sites are on the Radenci Plain. The plant is entirely dependent on people and sustainable use of soil and would disappear if the meadows where it grows ceased to be cut, because other plants would overgrow it. In this sense, Siberian iris symbolises the essence of the landscape park which is quality and long-term coexistence and cooperation between nature and people, which has a great landscape, biotic and ecological value. The lower three leaves of an iris also represent three watercourses of the Radenci Plain (the Dobravka, the Zelenka and the Šica) and depict bays, meanders and islets emerging upon high waters.
The village well, built in 1897, is located by the road in Velika Račna. The pump was renovated in 2011 upon the centenary of the Račna Volunteer Firefighter Association.
Kopanj with the Church of the Assumption of Mary
The morphological characteristic of the Račna local community and the entire Radenci Plain is the solitary hill of Kopanj which rises 68 metres above the bottom of the plain and is the most beautiful example of a karst solitary hill. There used to be a prehistoric fort on this hill. From the remains of the fort, the original Church of the Assumption of Mary, first mentioned in 1433, was erected. During the Turkish invasions, the wall, which has been partly preserved until today, was built around the church. Next to the church, there's a rectory, in which Dr. France Prešeren spent a few years of his childhood. Just below the top, an elementary school is located where classes have been conducted since 1865. An attraction of Kopanj is also a well on the northern side which springs ten metres above the level of the karst plain.
Caves of Viršnica, Lazarjeva and Zatočna jama (Šica cave system) , ,
Upon their normal level, the waters of Šica disappear into Zatočna jama. While upon heavier and longer lasting downpours, they even disappear into Lazarjeva jama which is 200 metres away. Above the cave, a collapse sinkhole of Viršnica, which water never reaches, is located. All three entrances form the cave system of Šica. The length of the system is 1,792 metres. It is unknown who discovered the caves. Due to the flooding of the Radenci Plain, the caves were first entered to widen the passages because the flow of the Šica through the cave system needed to be accelerated. The artificially formed path takes you to the wonderful entrance hall, which is geologically probably the most interesting, and further along artificial steps to the main passage of Viršnica. Viršnica is accessible in all weather conditions, as there is no danger of sudden floods. However, the dry period is still more appropriate for a visit if you wish to see the entire cave. We also recommend visiting the caves of Lazarjeva and Zatočna jama, which are interesting mainly due to the constant water activity.
More at http://e-lookout.tripod.com/virsnica.htm.
Boštanj Castle and Church of St. Martin ,
The ruins of Boštanj Castle, originally called Zagradec, are located in Boštanjska vas. The castle was destroyed in the autumn of 1943 and later only partly renovated. Below, there's an early-Baroque Church of St. Martin; the church which stood here before was mentioned in the sources from the 14th century. The church was renovated in Baroque. The equipment of the church is of utmost importance – the high black and gold altar from 1716, and both side-altars from the first half of the 18th century. The nave comprises tombs with tombstones of the family of the Blagaj counts, which was then the owner of Boštanj Castle.