The clustered village lies at the altitude of 430 metres on the sunny slope of the eponymous hill on the northern edge of the Ljubljana Basin. The village was first mentioned in 1260.
Rašica was occupied by Germans in 1941. The villagers soon joined the national liberation movement. Already on 24 July 1941, Rašiška četa Company was established in the Rašica forests, operating all the way to Domžale, Kamnik and Kranj. The Partisan movement expanded to such an extent that Kamnik Battalion was established on the top of Rašica on 17 August 1941. Because the people of Rašica supported National Liberation War, the Germans burnt down the village on 20 September 1941 and deported its inhabitants to Croatia. Rašica was the first Slovenian village to have been ravaged by the German occupying forces.
The village was renovated after the war and numerous new houses have been built recently. Most of the inhabitants are employed in Ljubljana, farmers are but scarce nowadays. The settlement and the top of Rašica are popular hiking destinations of the citizens of Ljubljana.
Monument dedicated to the arson of Rašica
A monument on the hill above the road from Gameljne, just before the village, testifies about the arson of the village during World War II.
Memorial plaque to the exiles from the village
A memorial plaque on the fire station in Rašica commemorates the exile of the villagers during World War II.
Commemorative monument to the national hero Stane Kosec
A monument to the local of Rašica and the first commander of Rašiška četa Company, Stane Kosec, was erected on the top of Rašica (which also bears his name) on 21 September 1958.
Dobeno above Mengeš is settlement with a rural and tourist character. The settlement has been expanding and former occasional dwellers of the holiday houses are now becoming permanent inhabitants of Dobeno which comprises more than 100 houses. The area of Dobeno is quite hilly, thus rare farmers have difficulties cultivating the land. The settlement is an attractive tourist hiking point for numerous hikers, cyclists and lovers of tourist farms known for their rich and selective offer. Dobeno is most frequented in spring and autumn. The settlement is attractive due to its unspoiled nature, fresh air, nice views, numerous maintained footpaths and Rašica observation tower. Somewhere amid the route, at the top of the hill, you can have a drink of pure water, rich in minerals, and thus more and more people come to fill large bottles for home use. Visitors can easily find tourist farms and inns with increasingly rich and selective offer.
Church of St. Cross in Rašica
The church was first mentioned in 1526. The original church, built in the Gothic style, was reconstructed in the Baroque style in the 17th and 18th centuries. During World War I (in 1917), the church donated two church bells for military purposes, only the middle bell from 1778, weighing 168 kg, remained. In 1924, the church received two new copper bells. During World War II, the Germans burnt down the church together with the village. The church remained in ruins until the first renovation in 1968; only the belfry has been preserved. The bells were saved by the citizens of Dobeno who kept them until the renovation.
The church was finally renovated in 1989 of which the copper plate in front of the church entrance testifies.
Karst and caves at Rašica
There are a lot of karst caves in the area of Rašica. There are nine registered karst caves in the area of Rašica but none of them is open to public. The total length of cave passages on Rašica is 319 metres and their total depth is 110 metres. Brezno 1 at Dovčar, which is also the largest and deepest cave in the municipality, stands out with its dimensions. The caves of Rašica host various animal species which are adapted to the environment with less light and stay in the underground most of their lives (cave spider) or which only occasionally live in caves (bats, cave crickets, snails, etc.).
Extensive and interesting expert material on the world of caves in the Municipality of Ljubljana, from which this information has been taken, was prepared in 2009 by the Cave Exploration Society of Ljubljana. In 2010, the Society celebrated its 100th anniversary of continuous cave exploration.
Traces from the ancient times
The area around Črnuče was populated already in prehistory. The settlements were in abundance, the oldest one from the Neolithic could be searched for in Zidanica Cave, located at Rebro above the village of Rašica. There was a fort below Gobnik Hill and probably even a cemetery at the pass, for which the experts believe that it belongs to the Old Iron Age.