The area of Črnuče has been populated since prehistoric times, because the forts were on Tabor Hill above the village of Rašica, and maybe even at Nadgorica and on Lačenberg Hill. The famous Amber Road from the Baltic to the Mediterranean run there. Črnuče, as an important transport location, was already known by the Romans who built a magnificent wooden bridge over the Sava River and a post station Savus Fluvius nearby. After the fall of the Roman Empire and the Migration Period, the town was mentioned as Zternutss in 1322, and instead of crossing the demolished bridge, the passengers crossed the Sava River by boat. The boats and the cart driving contributed to the fact that Črnuče never really turned into a rural settlement. The crossing of the Sava River was proved as an important military point, where legions of soldiers, defending the crossing, could be seen through the course of the history. Just remember Straški hrib Hill which is reminiscent of the French, bunkers from the time of the German and Italian occupation during World War II and finally the barricades during the Independence War in 1991. In the 1930s, industry started developing below Črnuče and caused the transformation of the village into the suburbs, as well as the migration of the newcomers, and the extension and development of the hamlets contributed to the development of Črnuče as it is known today.
Sračja dolina Valley (Magpie Valley)
The Sračja dolina Valley, also known as the valley of Črnušnjica, stretches along the Črnušnjica Stream on the hilly area of Rašica, southwest of Črnuče, and is the recreational area of Ljubljana as well as the area of valuable natural features. Due to intertwining of the marshy terrain and rich water network, the Sračja dolina Valley is one of the important ecological areas on the regional scale and is also intended to be included in Rašica-Dobeno Landscape Park.
The Sračja dolina Valley is a wide flat valley that extends southeast from Rašica along the Črnušnjica Stream all the way to Črnuče. The Črnušnjica carved the valley first, but then the small streams with their alluvia filled it up. During Ice Ages, the filling was reinforced for the solifluction and denudation of the surrounding hills were reinforced too. In the lower section of the valley, the Sava River probably dammed the valley with gravel in the geological past and the lake or later marshes probably emerged in the area of Gmajna. Clay and peat started to accumulate. It could be concluded from the gravel structure of the terrace where the centre of Črnuče – Stare (Old) Črnuče is that this was truly the impoundment.
Due to the gentle slope, the valley is swampy, although, up to this day, the Črnušnjica has excavated a deepened riverbed, almost 2 km long. In general, the beds of the small streams in the lower part of the valley, in the Gmajna settlement, drain the swampy ground.
In 2000, an inventory of the fauna (stoneflies, caddisflies, dragonflies, butterflies, amphibians and birds) and vegetation were made including the evaluation of nature conservation value on the area of 155 ha. The Sračja dolina Valley proved as an important habitat of some rare and endangered animal and plant species. 29 mostly swampy and wet habitats were recorded which provide sanctuary for 272 species and subspecies of ferns and spermatophytes, 45 species of birds, 8 species of amphibians, 53 species of butterflies and 6 species of dragonflies. The Sračja dolina Valley is intended for the inclusion in Rašica-Dobeno Landscape park.
The clustered village lies at the altitude of 430 metres on the sunny slope of the eponymous hill on the northern edge of the Ljubljana Basin. The village was first mentioned in 1260.
Rašica Hill is a solitary karst hill with the highest point of Vrh Staneta Kosca (641 m), named after the national hero Stane Kosec (1913-1941), a local from Rašica. A high metal observation tower is at the top where a marvellous view in all directions opens up, but the most beautiful is the one of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps. Just below the top there is the Mountain Hut of Rašiška četa (631 m), managed by the Rašica Mountaineering Society from Ljubljana-Šentvid.
Rašica was occupied by Germans in 1941. The inhabitants soon joined the national liberation movement. Already on 24 July 1941, Rašiška četa Company was established, operating all the way to Domžale, Kamnik and Kranj. The Partisan movement broadened to such an extent that Kamnik Battalion was established on Rašica on 17 August 1941. People of Rašica supported National Liberation War and thus the Germans burnt down the village on 20 September 1941 and deported its inhabitants. Rašica was the first Slovenian village to be burned by the occupying forces. The monument on the hill above the road towards Spodnje Gameljne at the beginning of the village testifies about the tragic event.
The village was renovated after the war and numerous new houses have been built recently. Most of the inhabitants are employed in Ljubljana, farmers are but scarce nowadays. The settlement and the top of Rašica are popular hiking destinations of citizens of Ljubljana.
Church of St. Cross
The church was first mentioned in 1526. The original church, built in the Gothic style, was reconstructed in the Baroque style in the 17th and 18th centuries. During World War I (in 1917), the church donated two church bells for military purposes, only the central bell from 1778, weighing 168 kg, remained. In 1924, the church acquired two new copper bells. During World War II, the Germans burnt down the church together with the village, was and it remained in ruins until the first renovation in 1968; only the belfry was preserved. The bells were saved by the villagers of Dobeno who kept them until the renovation.
It was finally renovated in 1989 of which testifies the copper plate in front of the church entrance.