DR. »O«
Length
8.3
Length 8.3 km
Time needed
00:50
Time needed 00:50
Največja strmina vzpona[%]
11
Greatest slope of the ascent: 11 %
Greatest slope of the descent: 13 %
Average slope of the ascent: 2 %
Length of ascents above 5%: 0.30 km
The lowest point of the route: 295 m
The highest point of the route: 328 m
Difference in altitude: 70 m
Poraba kalorij
2680
Consumption of energy for men: 2680 kJ (640 kcal)
Consumption of energy for women: 2198 kJ (525 kcal)
Difficulty
Difficulty: Easy
Quality of the surface
Quality of the surface: Mixture
Primerna obutev: Depending on personal choice
Short description

Although there are many other running possibilities in the regional park, we have decided to profit from the pleasant scenery on the Path of Remembrance and Comradeship. Thus, a part of one of the running trails leads us along this Path. Despite multiple possibilities, we begin the run at the Ljubljana ZOO. Every runner will choose their own starting point.
Compared to the "Trim trail and slightly more" running trail, the track is the same, just a bit longer.

Course

Parkirišče pri ZOO – Biotehniška fakulteta – Fakulteta za računalništvo – Fakulteta za kemijo, kemijsko tehnologijo – PST – Koseški bajer – naselje Mostec – Mostec – parkirišče pri ZOO

The Ljubljana ZOO
Next to the Ljubljana ZOO, we run along the former pioneer railway and continue to the small bridge over the Glinščica brook . We should be considerate of all the cyclists and move out of their way as we are running on a bicycle lane.

Knowledge incubators
Having crossed the small bridge over Gradaščica at the beginning of Rožna dolina, we turn 180 degrees and run along the brook past the Biotechnical faculty towards the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, the Faculty of Computer and Information Science , and the Biotechnical Institute . Leaving "science" behind, we join the Path of Remembrance and Comradeship . Staying on the Path, we cross the Brdnik Street and run at the edge of meadows and fields on our left side, and the forests of the Tivoli Regional Park and the Rožnik and Šiška hills on our right side , , until we slowly come to the Koseze pond . Birds singing around us, and herons often there searching for food and to be admired in the marsh on the left from the Path of Remembrance and Comradeship, point to the fact that we have almost entered the area of the regional park.

Koseze
The neighbourhood is pleasant , , and the pond has become a popular recreational spot. We decide to run on the northern side, which is slightly longer, as we almost make a full circle around the pond. During the run, we often glance towards the surface of the water where we can admire swans and ducks that have made the pond their home. Wonderful trees and bushes are plentiful, too. At the end of the pond, just next to the outdoor fitness spot , we turn left and run along the Mostec residential area.
"Halt! A mistake! What about Dr. "O" Motel that the trail is named after? Will we simply bypass it?"
It cannot be any other way, as the motel is gone and the new building is not completed and open for visitors yet. The archery area just a stone's throw away from the former motel is frequently abandoned . Therefore, we run past the houses in the residential area , and carefully cross Večna pot at the pedestrian crossing.

Mostec
Following the Matjan trail in the opposite direction than we took when running the "Trim trail and slightly more" trail, we reach the Mostec recreational park and turn towards Večna pot at the turning for the ski jumping centre. We run past the children's playground and the refreshment bar behind the trees. Although mushrooms are plentiful in this area, we decide to let them be. Shortly before reaching Večna pot - that is at the beginning of the trim trail -, we turn left onto the Mostec - ZOO walking track , . With our will and time permitting, we can try one of the exercise stations that will be crossing our way over the next 500 metres of the track leading to the ZOO. It will certainly do us no harm, although the 8 kilometres that will be entered in our running register are not to be sneezed at, and we will be suitably tired by the time we reach the finishing line even without additional exercises.

The Ljubljana ZOO
When we return to the car park at the Ljubljana ZOO , we have achieved the feat of the day; yet, because our muscles are cooling down slowly, we decide to stand around Boljka's sculpture of the attacking bull in front of the entrance to the ZOO. There are many details , that usually skip our attention, but they are worthy of notice. They give the sculpture some additional charm that will for a moment undoubtedly deter our attention from exhaustion.

 

The Ljubljana ZOO
The Ljubljana ZOO is neither one of the oldest nor the biggest ZOOs. Nonetheless, it does stand as a popular tourist spot in Ljubljana. Its beginnings dates back to the period after the Second World War when animal cages were placed in the centre of Ljubljana. In 1951, the city's authorities found a more suitable location on the south-western part of the Rožnik Hill. This was also the period when the ZOO began to develop at a faster pace until it reached its milestone in 1988 when it started to evolve into a modern ZOO with the emphasis on almost natural living conditions for the animals, as well as on ecology and coexistence of animate and inanimate nature.
The offer is inventively expanded on a regular basis through constant introduction of new products for visitors, especially the youngest ones.
Today, it can be concluded that the course of development was appropriate, as the animals now "live" in a suitable environment, and visitors are content and happy to return, which is also proven by more than 200,000 visitors per year.

The Mostec recreational park
The idyllic environment of the forest in the valley of the Mostec brook beneath Mali Rožnik is a perfect location for spending free time in tranquillity. The adequacy of the location was discovered at the beginning of the previous century when local residents dammed the brook and thus set up a place suitable for "kneipping" that was widely popular at the time.
The recreational character of Mostec has been preserved to the present day. In 1962, the predecessor of what is now known as the Mostec recreational association took the initiative and gradually gave the space the appearance that we now know. The association has its space in the only building in Mostec. Residents of Ljubljana like returning to Mostec where they can enjoy nature and the occasional social events, all of which keep potential boredom away from the area.

The Mostec trim trail
The trail is 520 m long and comprises 15 devices. The trail is illuminated making it possible to jog and exercise even in late evening hours. The trim trail was completed in October 2012, replacing the former trail that had to give way as a result of unsettled ownership relations.

The Mali Rožnik protected natural site
This is a marsh area and an important habitat for rare animal and plant species. These mostly include amphibians, dragonflies and plants demanding a moist, swamp area for their growth. A peat swamp has developed in the lower part of the marsh.

Boljka's statues of animals at the Ljubljana ZOO
The renowned Slovenian sculptor, painter and graphic artist Janez Boljka designed several bronze statues of animals in his creative opus. Thus, the Ljubljana ZOO is now home to six of his sculptures: a rhinoceros, a monkey family, a bison, a wolf, an elephant, and a bull reigning over the entrance to the ZOO, which is also a popular spot among the younger visitors to the park, as they enjoy climbing up and sitting on its back.

The Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, the Faculty of Computer and Information Science, and the National Institute of Biology
The faculties have found their adequate place next to the regional park. The view over the new buildings at the end of the access road reveals an example of good spatial positioning.

Koseze Pond
Koseze Pond, also known as Koseze Lake, is a smaller lake on the western side of Šišenski hrib Hill and the settlement of Mostec. The pond is not wider than 100 m and not longer than 200 m. The present depth is supposedly 2 to 3 m (the lowest point used to be 11 m deep), which is a result of silt deposits from the Mostec Stream. The lake emerged after the abandonment of a clay pit in the 1960s when the nearby Mostec Stream was directed into it. During the operation of the Agrostroj Factory, the pond was quite polluted, because the factory tested its pumps for irrigation plants in it. The lake and its surroundings were left to natural processes over the years. It was in 2000 that the Municipality of Ljubljana opened an invitation to a public call for landscape arrangement of the pond area which was arranged according to the winning tender. Although the pond is well-frequented recreational sports area, it is not used for swimming due to poor quality of water (huge amounts of silt). Nevertheless, fishing, races with small model motor boats and ice-skating are popular activities on the pond.

Path of Remembrance and Comradeship (PST, or nowadays POT)
After the war, the memories were still very fresh and painful, and the Ljubljana citizens started removing the hated fence, filling up the trenches and demolishing the bunkers. The last bunker was demolished in spring of 1946. The strongholds started being used either as apartments or warehouses.
When the first Slovenian Festival of Physical Culture was organised in 1957, the district committees of NOB League of Combatants suggested to organise a partisan hike along the wire of the former-occupied Ljubljana as a part of the festival. The first hike took place on 23 June 1957.
The first arrangements and markings of the route began already in 1959 with the erection of the first monuments. In 1972, the arrangement of sandy paths with tree-lined allies was planned. The entire arrangement of the POT ended in 1985, when it was formally opened on 9 May and handed over to the citizens of Ljubljana.
Nowadays, the sandy POT measures 33 km and mostly runs along the original route of the wired fence.

 

The refreshment bar in Mostec
The refreshment bar is run by the Mostec recreational association. It offers beverages and a few snacks, and the area is suitable for picnics.

 

Pioneer Railway ,
It was built in 1948 following the example of railways which were built in the then Soviet Union in those times. This was a narrow-gauge track, 76 cm wide, and was not the only one—similar were in Belgrade, Zagreb, Sarajevo, Skopje and Kruševac. The one in Ljubljana was 3,800 metres long, and ran between Rožna dolina and Podutik with a station in Koseze. The line was supposed to encourage technical culture and stimulate the young to become engine drivers and for other vocations connected with railways. It was managed by pioneers—the young, which was a great honour at that time and required considerable preparations. But it had a minor flaw: it did not lead anywhere. People soon got tired of driving 'from here to nowhere'. Thus the line was abolished in 1954 and, in the time of feverish search for hidden reserves of iron, the tracks were sold somewhere south.

Enemy-occupied Ljubljana
On 19 January 1942, the commandership of XI. Corpi d'Armata of Italian Army ordered to enclose Ljubljana with a wire fence, isolate the city from the outskirts and destroy the main headquarters of the resistance in Ljubljana. The fencing of Ljubljana started at the end of January and ended on 23 February 1942. The wire blockade with strongholds, guardhouses, posts and fences initially measured 18 km. Because the 'cleaning' of Ljubljana didn't go according to the plans, general Robotti appointed a special committee for construction of the fortified wall around Ljubljana on 11 May 1942. The committee was supposed to carry out the inspection of the existing infrastructure and suggest or plan the construction of a new one. By the end of May, the ring of fences was thus further extended; resulting in 29.6 km long, 5 to 8 m wide and 2 m high ring. The ring included 69 large bunkers, 11 exposed, 53 small and 73 inner bunkers - 206 all together. Ljubljana became a concentration camp. Despite the strict control, the ring was passed by the injured, partisans and the citizens of Ljubljana and surrounding areas. An example of that is the railwaymen who dispatched entire wagons of different goods to the partisan units with false documents.
After the capitulation of Italy, the control over Ljubljana fell into the hands of Germans who were much crueller than Italians. It was only on 9 May 1945, on the 1,170 day of isolation of the city, that Ljubljana became a free city again. In the days after the liberation of the city, people of Ljubljana left the city in masses and went to the surrounding area, to the banks of the Sava River, to Katarina, Šmarna gora and elsewhere as they used to before the war.

Motel Dr. "O"
Dr. Aca Obradović was not merely a doctor (he completed medical studies), but also a doctor of football. Namely, he was one of the first football managers of the former Yugoslavia. His business travels also brought him to Ljubljana where he acted as the president of the Olimpija football club. "Kafana" was his passion. That was also the reason for him becoming the owner of the motel in Koseška Street that was supposed to become the meeting point of football fans. However, financial difficulties forced him into selling the motel.
Although Motel Tikveš, as it was named after the new owner, was reputed for specialties of Balkan cuisine the new owner failed to contribute to better financial results. The motel thus started to dilapidate. Unfortunately, fate turned its back on the motel, as it later burnt to the ground.
The new owner has already constructed a new building in its place, which had to comply with strict demands due to the motel's position in the regional park. The current financial crisis has slowed down completion of the works at the site, but the owner keeps his hopes high that it will soon start serving its purpose.

 

Walk Along the Wire
This is a traditional recreational hike along the POT in the memory of the liberation of Ljubljana in 1945 which was enclosed by a wired fence put up by the Italian and German occupying forces during World War II. The first official organised (partisan) hike along the wire of the formerly-occupied Ljubljana took place on 23 June 1957. The hike is held every year in the first half of May (around 9 May, the Liberation of Ljubljana Day).
This three-day event includes hikes of kindergarten children (Thursday) and pupils of Primary and Secondary schools (Friday). The climax is on Saturday when recreational enthusiasts and running trios set out for a hike.