The Tivoli Park with its slopes and an overgrown forest, and the Rožnik and Šiška hills make up the Tivoli Regional Park.
Initial designs for the Tivoli Park were outlined in the period of the Illyrian provinces. The park got its present appearance between 1921 and 1939 (architect Jože Plečnik was in charge of the restoration project), and later in the second half of the 20th century when several sports complexes (the Tivoli Hall, the indoor swimming pool complex with a fitness studio and a bowling court, the boules court, the roller-skating park, the mini-golf course, and tennis and basketball courts) were added to the landscape.
Recreational areas of the park comprise chestnut-tree lanes and other tree lined lanes, the Jakopič tree lined lane (promenade), the pond, the botanical garden, the playground, and numerous fountains, and statues. Yet, one should not forget about the animal and plant species following our steps through the park. The park also hosts an outdoor swimming complex (built in 1929) and the Ilirija gym located in a somewhat remote spot due to the railway running along the edge of the park.
There are also two castles (the Tivoli and the Cekin castles) currently serving different purposes. Namely, the Cekin Castle is home to the National Museum of Contemporary History, whereas the Tivoli Castle now hosts the International Centre of Graphic Arts and a coffee shop.
The Rožnik Hill
The name was already mentioned in the 15th century when it was said to have been grown with vineyards and later with orchards, rather than with a forest.
For a certain period of time, Rožnik served as a shelter for lepers, but with times changing constantly, plague soon brought the better off residents of Ljubljana to the hilltop.
Nowadays, together with the Šiška Hill, Rožnik stands as an excellent recreational area for the residents of Ljubljana and visiting tourists.
The Rožnik Hill (or rather the area below it) is also home to the Ljubljana ZOO.
The Mostec ski jumping centre
Gym devices (outdoor fitness) , the basketball court, the elevator to the in-run of the biggest ski jump , and the building hosting the Ilirija ski jumping club testify to the true character of the recreational centre.
The centre prides itself with its interesting history. Namely, ski jumping in the embrace of the regional park started almost a hundred years ago. In the 1920s, sportsmen jumping from the ski jump at Šance (the Šiška Hill) reached the distance of 6 metres. Engineer Bloudek subsequently prepared a design for a new 33-metre ski jump in the Mostec recreational centre. The latter was soon joined by a smaller, 15-metre ski jump in 1947. They mostly served younger ski jumpers perfecting their skills. However, the 70-metre ski jump at Galetovo (the Šiška Hill above the Gale mansion) was the scene of international ski jumping contests. The last one was organised in 1961, and the ski jump was subsequently left to dilapidate. All that remains of the ski jump is its former tower.
In order to meet their need for year round training, ski jumping workers attempted to build a new plastic-coated ski jump. They succeeded in 1976 when the 30-metre ski jump in the Mostec recreational centre was coated with plastic. However, it too was soon left unattended. Fortunately enough, the idea of establishing a ski and ski jumping centre was brought to light with the establishment of the Ilirija ski and ski jumping club in 1970. An enormous amount of voluntary work was invested into the project, which resulted in four new plastic-coated ski jumps that were built in the Mostec recreational centre in only two years. One of the few ski jumping centres of its kind in Europe was established. The ski jumps in the Mostec recreational centre have a better fate than their predecessors. Namely, the ski jumps are continuously renovated and upgraded, also via significant acquisitions, such as the elevator in 2010.
The Ljubljana ZOO
The Ljubljana ZOO is neither one of the oldest nor the biggest ZOOs. Nonetheless, it does stand as a popular tourist spot in Ljubljana. Its beginnings dates back to the period after the Second World War when animal cages were placed in the centre of Ljubljana. In 1951, the city's authorities found a more suitable location on the south-western part of the Rožnik Hill. This was also the period when the ZOO began to develop at a faster pace until it reached its milestone in 1988 when it started to evolve into a modern ZOO with the emphasis on almost natural living conditions for the animals, as well as on ecology and coexistence of animate and inanimate nature.
The offer is inventively expanded on a regular basis through constant introduction of new products for visitors, especially the youngest ones.
Today, it can be concluded that the course of development was appropriate, as the animals now "live" in a suitable environment, and visitors are content and happy to return, which is also proven by more than 200,000 visitors per year.
The Mostec recreational park
The idyllic environment of the forest in the valley of the Mostec brook beneath Mali Rožnik is a perfect location for spending free time in tranquillity. The adequacy of the location was discovered at the beginning of the previous century when local residents dammed the brook and thus set up a place suitable for "kneipping" that was widely popular at the time.
The recreational character of Mostec has been preserved to the present day. In 1962, the predecessor of what is now known as the Mostec recreational association took the initiative and gradually gave the space the appearance that we now know. The association has its space in the only building in Mostec. Residents of Ljubljana like returning to Mostec where they can enjoy nature and the occasional social events, all of which keep potential boredom away from the area.
The Tivoli Castle
The Tivoli Castle is older than the Cekin Castle. The beginning of the Castle goes back to the 13th century when a tower stood at a spot slightly above the present-day castle. The tower was substituted with a court, which was pulled down and built anew when the building changed its owner in the 17th century. The process would nowadays be called a replacement construction. Throughout its rich history, the building used to serve as a monastery, a hospital, a warehouse, a military post, the residence of the bishop of Ljubljana and the home of Marshall Radetzki; after the Second World War, the castle was home to various city officials and tenants. Following a complete renovation, the castle became home to the International Centre of Graphic Arts.
The Mali Rožnik protected natural site
This is a marsh area and an important habitat for rare animal and plant species. These mostly include amphibians, dragonflies and plants demanding a moist, swamp area for their growth. A peat swamp has developed in the lower part of the marsh.
The Jesenko educational track
The entire educational track runs through the regional park. A visitor walking along the trail gets information about 30 types of trees.
The memorial room at Restaurant Rožnik
Ivan Cankar lived in Restaurant Rožnik from 1909 to 1917. The City Museum of Ljubljana designed a room in his memory.
The Mostec trim trail
The trail is 520 m long and comprises 15 devices. The trail is illuminated making it possible to jog and exercise even in late evening hours . The trim trail was completed in October 2012, replacing the former trail that had to give way as a result of unsettled ownership relations.
Landscape Park Tivoli, Rožnik, Šišenski hrib Hill
The area, proclaimed as the landscape park in 1984, encompasses the city park Tivoli and woody Rožnik and Šišenski hrib Hills. The landscape park, which is an inseparable part of the identity of Ljubljana, measures 500 hectares. This is a protected area in which natural and cultural space elements are preserved and its social and recreational functions are equally important. On the western side of Šišenski hrib Hill, on the area of a former clay pit, a water surface, Koseze Pond, emerged which is an important habitat for some rare and endangered animal species and is one of rare stagnant waters in Ljubljana. On the eastern embankment, a wooden platform for sitting and enjoying beside the water is arranged.