With its slopes and overgrown forest, the Tivoli Park makes up part of the Tivoli regional park, and the Rožnik and Šiška hills.
Initial designs for the Tivoli Park were outlined in the period of the Illyrian provinces. The park gained its present appearance between 1921 and 1939 (architect Jože Plečnik was in charge of the restoration project), and later in the second half of 20th century when several sports complexes (the Tivoli Hall, the indoor swimming pool complex with a fitness studio and a bowling court, the boules court, the roller-skating park, the mini-golf course, and tennis and basketball courts) were added to the landscape. Recreational areas of the park comprise chestnut-tree lanes, the Jakopič lane (promenade), the pond, the botanical garden, the greenhouse, and a playground, as well as numerous fountains and statues. Yet, one should not forget about animal and plant species following our steps through the park.
The park also hosts an outdoor swimming complex (built in 1929) and the Ilirija gym located in a somewhat remote spot due to the railway running along the edge of the park.
There are also two castles: the Tivoli and the Cekin castles currently serving different purposes. Namely, the Cekin Castle, home to the National Museum of Contemporary History, whereas the Tivoli Castle now hosts the International Centre of Graphic Arts and a coffee shop.
Also known as Leopoldsruhe was the Šiška residence of Ljubljana castellan Pavel Konig in the 17th century. Other owners of the initially modest castle were also the Barons of Raumschussel and Stroblhoff, who also owned Bokalce Castle. Count Leopold Karl Lamberg bought the castle in the beginning of the 18th century and built (today's) Baroque castle in 1720. Ivana Lamberg, who married Lovrenc Szogyney, got the castle as her dowry in 1787. The people simplified the owner's name (Zegini), which resulted in the today's name for the castle - Cekin Castle.
The castle had many owners since; one of the last ones was Peter Kozler, the author of the Map of Slovenian Land and Regions. The castle was nationalised after World War II and also housed a school. The National Museum of Contemporary History has moved there in 1951.
The Church of St Bartholomew
is one of the oldest churches in Ljubljana (first mentioned in 1308) and was renovated according to architect Plečnik's plans. A peace treaty between the Venetian Republic and the Habsburgs was signed in the church at the end of the 14th century.
Within the complex of buildings, a residential house built before 1765 (the year is preserved on the wooden ceiling of a granary) in which Valentin Vodnik was born is the most important. The house is also an ethnological monument of architecture from the late 19th century as a typical home of an influential person from Ljubljana.
The building is also a home of a music school. In the building, you can see Vodnik memorial room and a room dedicated to reformation. Both collections have been renovated.
Landscape Park Tivoli, Rožnik, Šišenski hrib Hill
The area, proclaimed as the landscape park in 1984, encompasses the city park Tivoli and woody Rožnik and Šišenski hrib Hills. The landscape park, which is an inseparable part of the identity of Ljubljana, measures 500 hectares. This is a protected area in which natural and cultural space elements are preserved and its social and recreational functions are equally important. On the western side of Šišenski hrib Hill, on the area of a former clay pit, a water surface, Koseze Pond, emerged which is an important habitat for some rare and endangered animal species and is one of rare stagnant waters in Ljubljana. On the eastern embankment, a wooden platform for sitting and enjoying beside the water is arranged.
Gale Castle got its today's neo-Renaissance image in the 18th century when Baron Anton Nepomuk Taufferer bought a country cottage at this location, rebuilt it into a country mansion and named it Pepensfeld. In 1784, count Janez Nepomuk Auersperg joined the estate of Gale Castle with the estate of Jama Castle.
Similar to all the others mansions and castles in Ljubljana, this one, too, changed many owners. It was bought by Adolf Gale in 1875 and the castle thus got its name after him. Sever Ljubljana Police Veteran Society nowadays houses in the castle as well as Police Wind Orchestra.
The Mali Rožnik protected natural site
This is a marsh area and an important habitat for rare animal and plant species. These mostly include amphibians, dragonflies and plants demanding a moist, swamp area for their growth. A peat swamp has developed in the lower part of the marsh.
The Ljubljana ZOO , ,
The Ljubljana ZOO is neither one of the oldest nor the biggest ZOOs. Nonetheless, it does stand as a popular tourist spot in Ljubljana. Its beginnings dates back to the period after the Second World War when animal cages were placed in the centre of Ljubljana. In 1951, the city's authorities found a more suitable location on the south-western part of the Rožnik Hill. This was also the period when the ZOO began to develop at a faster pace until it reached its milestone in 1988 when it started to evolve into a modern ZOO with the emphasis on almost natural living conditions for the animals, as well as on ecology and coexistence of animate and inanimate nature.
The offer is inventively expanded on a regular basis through constant introduction of new products for visitors, especially the youngest ones.
Today, it can be concluded that the course of development was appropriate, as the animals now "live" in a suitable environment, and visitors are content and happy to return, which is also proven by more than 200,000 visitors per year.
Boljka's statues of animals at the Ljubljana ZOO ,
The renowned Slovenian sculptor, painter and graphic artist Janez Boljka designed several bronze statues of animals in his creative opus. Thus, the Ljubljana ZOO is now home to six of his sculptures: a rhinoceros, a monkey family, a bison, a wolf, an elephant, and a bull reigning over the entrance to the ZOO, which is also a popular spot among the younger visitors to the park, as they enjoy climbing up and sitting on its back.
The Tivoli Castle
The Tivoli Castle is older than the Cekin Castle. The beginning of the Castle goes back to the 13th century when a tower stood at a spot slightly above the present-day castle. The tower was substituted with a court, which was pulled down and built anew when the building changed its owner in the 17th century. The process would nowadays be called a replacement construction. Throughout its rich history, the building used to serve as a monastery, a hospital, a warehouse, a military post, the residence of the bishop of Ljubljana and the home of Marshall Radetzki; after the Second World War, the castle was home to various city officials and tenants. Following a complete renovation, the castle became home to the International Centre of Graphic Arts.
The Jesenko educational track
The entire educational track runs through the regional park. A visitor walking along the trail gets information about 30 types of trees.