Polhov Gradec Dolomites Landscape Park
Nature has endowed these places with forests with approximately the same share of coniferous and deciduous trees. There are plenty of beautiful meadows on the ridges, gradual slopes near the villages and in the valleys, which have preserved their biotic diversity due to less intensive farming.
Their characteristics are pointed dolomite summits which gave the hills their popular name – the Polhov Gradec Dolomites. In addition to dolomite, the ground composition also includes limestone, various impermeable rocks and a small share of volcanic rocks. As a larger joint surface, limestone occurs between Toško Čelo and Topol in the Ravnik Plateau, where karst phenomena can also be noticed. Among the peaks standing out among the steep rocky areas, Grmada (898 m) and Sv. Lovrenc (St. Lawrence) Mountain are the most famous.
The castle of the Hertenberg knights, ministers of the Spanheims and the dukes of Carinthia, once stood on the Jeterbenk Hill (a non-standard word deriving from German Hertenberg). Ministers were members of lower nobility who performed military or administrative service for higher noblemen, and the Spanheims were those famous noblemen whose seat was at Ljubljana Castle and who first used the renowned coat of arms with a black climbing panther on white background; and some people wished for it to become the national symbol of the Republic of Slovenia. As the Spanheims had no descendants, the rule over their lands (including Carniola) was inherited by Ottokar II of Bohemia, who also adopted the aforementioned coat of arms. But not for long, as he was killed in a battle with the Habsburgs in Moravia, and the rule over this part of Slovenia was taken over by the Counts of Gorica who held it until 1335 when it was claimed by the Habsburgs. In written sources, Jeterbenk Castle was first explicitly mentioned in 1252 and in 1444 for the last time when it had already been abandoned. In the 14th century, the original tower building on the top of the hill was replaced by a more modern building at the fort near the Church of St. Margaret in Žlebe (on the other side of the hill in front of you), but it was soon abandoned, perhaps even deliberately demolished. Namely, the knights of Hertenberg were robbers and it is possible that they perished during one of the Habsburg punitive campaigns. The Hertenberg knights supposedly erected the Nebovz (Nebojse) tower which has been mentioned in the folk tradition, but its actual location has never been found. The treasure the knights supposedly hid under Jeterbenk Castle has also never been found.
Church of St. Margaret
One nave church with five-eighth presbytery and a freestanding belfry was finished already in 1526. The ceiling in the nave is star-like vaulted and decorative painting date back in the 17th century. Late Gothic wooden polychrome beam with the group of Crucifixion from 1680 is on the arch. The main altar is from 1740 and three side altars are from 1641, 1665 and 1680.
This is an interesting and well preserved stone bridge over the Mavelščica Stream below Seničica towards Medno motel. The bridge was built in 1666 (the year engraved in the bridge) and was then one of the most important transport facilities on the way from Ljubljana to Upper Carniola. Napoleon himself had nothing to do with the construction of the bridge, as it was built at least a century before he was born, but acquired such a name later, because Napoleon's army marched over it.
Hafner's chapel was built in 1934 in Preska pri Medvodah and it is labelled as the cultural monument. The chapel was built by the merchant, choirmaster and composer Lovro Hafner, after the death of his only son. The plans for the chapel of Virgin Mary were the work of architect Jože Plečnik.
Church of St. John the Baptist in Preska
The Church of St. John the Baptist was first mentioned in 1631, and already after 1641 it was known that the cemetery beside the church was enclosed with the wall. After the parish was established, the cemetery was abandoned and the new one was built at a present location as well as the mortuary in 1858.
According to Anton Koblar, who wrote about the parish in 1884, the church was rebuilt several times and had an unusual shape of an Orthodox cross which measured 18x18 m. The present church was built in 1941 according to the plans of architect J. Valentinčič. Only the belfry, side entrance, some statues, two Langus' and one Metzinger's paintings, and Kregar's painting from 1957 above the main altar have been preserved.