Bičje Nature Reserve
The Bičje Stream, after which the reserve gets its name, runs along the bottom of the plain west of Grosuplje. The area of the reserve is kind of a natural flood water retention basin, which prevents the surrounding settlements and agricultural land to be flooded. The reserve hosts numerous rare species of plants and animals. Some of the more interesting swamp plants are marsh gentian, various species of orchids and reed. The diverse fauna includes birds, dragonflies, amphibians and European crayfish.
Radenci Plain Landscape Park
The area of the Radenci Plain is a natural and cultural treasure, the biologic diversity of which has been formed during a millennium of interaction between nature and people. The plain stretches across four square kilometres at an altitude of 325 metres and is the smallest of nine distinct karst plains in Slovenia. It's situated in the middle of the Dolenjska karst, three kilometres southeast from Grosuplje, at the outer south-eastern edge of the Grosuplje Basin and about 20 kilometres from Ljubljana.
The plain is surrounded by steep forest slopes all around, except for its north-western edge, which opens towards the Grosuplje Basin with a flat stretch. In the middle of the plain, there are two hills, the Boštanj Hill in the north and a solitary hill called Kopanj in the south, which is the most beautiful sample of a solitary hill in the Dinaric karst plains in Slovenia (Lampič and Smrekar, 1998, Topole 1998, Florjanc and Jernejc-Babič 1999).
The area of the Radenci Plain Landscape Park extends over 16 square kilometres. The Radenci Plain was declared a landscape park in 2012.
Boštanj Castle and Church of St. Martin
The remnants of Boštanj Castle, originally called Zagradec, are located in Boštanja vas. The castle was destroyed in the autumn of 1943 and later only partly renovated. Below, there's the early-Baroque Church of St. Martin; the church which stood here before was mentioned in sources from the 14th century. The church was renovated during the Baroque period. The equipment of the church is of utmost importance – the high black and gold altar from 1716, and both side-altars from the first half of the 18th century. The nave comprises tombs with tombstones of the family of the Blagaj counts, which was then the owner of Boštanj Castle.
Magdalenska gora , ,
Magdalenska gora, one of the most important archaeological sites from the Iron Age in Slovenia, is located on a 504 metre-high hill. The wider area of Magdalenska gora once included a prehistoric settlement with manmade terraces and earthworks.
The neat archaeological promenade running past the visible remnants of the Iron Age fort describes the life of the then inhabitants. A walk lasts for about 40 minutes.
Rich archaeological heritage, excavated from numerous graves joint into huge burial mounds, bears witness that Magdalenska gora was populated for more than one thousand years. The most precious and best preserved findings originate from the Iron Age. The most important findings include the bronze situlas, weapons and other military equipment, various ornamental buckles and jewellery. An ornamental plate in the shape of a four-pointed cross with horses' heads is depicted in the coat of arms of the Municipality of Grosuplje.
Church of Virgin Mary's Birth
The church in Šmarje - Sap was first mentioned in 1228. According to some historians, however, the parish of Šmarje was supposedly established as early as 1058. The church was built in the style of the Roman basilica with three naves. At the end of the 15th century, it got new arches and a presbytery. It comprises Gothic paintings and frescos by Štefan Šubic. The church and its wall were used as an anti-Turk camp, of which only one tower called Turenček was preserved.
Church of St. Michael
It is located on a hill in the centre of Grosuplje. In written sources, it was first mentioned in 1305. Next to it, the first modern church in Slovenia was built in 1972, which is also dedicated to St. Michael. Its exterior is reminiscent of a hull. The peculiarity of the church is a mosaic of Christ the Redeemer made by a priest, Marko Ivan Rupnik.
Šmarje - Sap ,
Šmarje - Sap, the second largest settlement in this municipality, was inhabited in the ancient Roman period, when a Roman road ran past it. Later, Šmarje was the ecclesiastical, cultural and economic centre of the western part of Dolenjska for over 700 years. The Church of Virgin Mary's Birth was first mentioned in 1228 and it is the oldest church in the Grosuplje Basin.