Church of St. Martin in Šmartno pod Šmarno goro
It was mentioned as an independent parish already in 1296. The present church with a massive belfry was built in 1841. It was proclaimed a monument of art.
Fish Farm in Povodje and monument to Ivan Frank ,
There is a monument to the doyen of Slovenian organised fishing and fish farming, Ivan Frank, at the fish farm.
Church of St. Lucia in Skaručna
The church was built between 1662 and 1665. It was renovated in the Baroque style in 1744. The paintings of France Jelovšek are from 1748.
Monument to National Liberation War in Vesca
The monument was erected in the memory of a successful breakthrough of Gorenjski odred Detachment from the enemy's encirclement in 1944.
Monument to the fighters of Rašiška četa Company in Selo pri Vodicah
The monument in the memory of the fighters of Rašiška četa Company who died in the battles with the occupying forces in September and October of 1941.
Church of St. Michael in Mengeš
The church, dedicated to the Archangel Michael, is the oldest and most valuable monument of art in Mengeš. Its 15th century Gothic presbytery with remarkable frescoes by Janez of Ljubljana is particularly renowned. The older Romanesque design was reworked in Gothic style and later in Baroque style. The baptistery and confessional were built according to the plans of architect Jože Plečnik.
Mengeš Culture Centre
The main part of the Culture Centre is the hall which has been hosting performances of Špas teater Theatre in the past decade. Špas teater shows attract visitors from all over Slovenia.
Birthplace and a monument of writer Janez Trdina
Trdina was born in Mengeš on 29 May 1830. This is also the day the Municipality of Mengeš celebrates its municipal holiday. He became famous with his book Fairytales and Stories about Gorjanci. Trdina's monument is located near the Church of St. Michael.
Birthplace and monument of painter Franc Jelovšek
The monument to the father of Baroque painting in Carniola is located in front of the Church of St. Michael.
Church of St. Primus and Felician in Loka pri Mengšu
The beautifully renovated church is located amid the plain on the right bank of the Pšata River. The church is a monument of art and hosts concerts of choir and chamber music.
The castle at the foothill of Rašica was first mentioned in the 14th century. It was built by the counts of Lamberg. It had many other owners over the years. The extensive interior equipment, including paintings, tapestries and wall paintings, was 'lost' after World War II, because the castle was used for various purposes and activities. The castle is nicely renovated. Take a look at the wedding hall decorated with Jelovšek's frescoes, multi-purpose hall and castle courtyard with arcades.
Plague or Mortuary Sign in Trzin
This was the resting area of the dead where the praying man asked the villagers for forgiveness on behalf of the deceased.
Church of St. Florian in Trzin
The Gothic Church of St. Florian was built in the mid-14th century. What has been preserved from it are the cross, chandelier and a sandstone statue of St. Florian which was carved in the 15th century.
The first Baroque reconstruction of the church probably took place in 1649. Namely, the bridge in front of the church has this year carved in the stone. Baroque reconstructions also took place between 1725 and 1733. Three new altars were set up: the main altar of St. Florian, the left side altar of St. Urban and the right side altar of St. Leonard. Furthermore, the chapel of St. Francis Xavier was added.
The original Gothic church was facing the opposite direction than the present one. The entrance was under the belfry and the altar was directed towards the present day entrance. Only the belfry and a part of the presbytery of the old Gothic church have been preserved until today. The church was turned by 180 degrees during the Baroque reconstructions. The approximate appearance of the original church has been depicted at the statue of St. Florian at the main altar. The church was heavily damaged during the earthquake in 1895, but has obtained a new neo-romantic image by 1900. A vestry was built in the 19th century and the choir was added later.
The church supposedly houses Plečnik's equipment from 1958. The equipment consists of a free-standing eight-angled stone holy-water font in the nave, a niche with an older plastic, a hanging ceiling lamp and a cross on the northern side of the nave.
Ivan Hribar Culture Centre (CIH) with a fountain
This is the informational, cultural and tourist centre of Trzin. It got its name after a famous Trzin local, Dr Ivan Hribar, who is famous for being a mayor of Ljubljana from 1896 to 1910. You can see his statue at the Centre's premises. Pomlad (Spring) fountain is situated in front of the Centre.
Monument on the bridge in Trzin commemorating Slovenian Independence
During the Slovenian Independence War in 1991, Trzin was the stage of one of the fiercest battles between the Slovenian Territorial Defence and the armoured unit of the Yugoslav People's Army. The monument was erected on the bridge in Trzin in memory of these events.
Monument to the victims of National Liberation War in Črnuče
Erected to commemorate 30 fallen soldiers and victims of fascist violence in World War II.
Church of St. Simon and Judas in Črnuče
The church was rebuilt after the earthquake in 1895.
Church of St. Leonard in Spodnje Gameljne
The church was first mentioned in 1526. It was renovated in the mid-17th century. It obtained its present image between 1875 and 1877.
Church of St. Andrew in Srednje Gameljne
The original church was built in 1660. It was pulled down in the second half of the 18th century and a single-nave Baroque church was built to the old belfry. The church has rich Baroque interior equipment. It has been declared a cultural monument.