Church of St Martin in Šmartno pod Šmarno goro
The church was first mentioned in 1296. The present church with a massive bell tower was built in 1841. It has been proclaimed the monument of art.
Fish Farm in Povodje and monument to Ivan Frank
A well-known fish farm is situated in Povodje. Moreover, there is a monument to Ivan Frank, the doyen of Slovenian organised fishing and fish farming.
Church of St Lucia in Skarčuna ,
The church was built between 1662 and 1665. In 1744, it was reconstructed in the Baroque style. The paintings of Franc Jelovšek date back to 1748.
Church of St. James in Hraše
The church was first mentioned in 1118. It was very simple at that time, maybe even wooden. It belonged to the parish of Vodice. In historical sources, the church was again mentioned in 1335 when the village of Hraše, which then consisted of five farms, was bought by the Counts of Celje. The present single-nave church with five-eighth presbytery from the late 15th century was later reconstructed in the Baroque style.
Valburga Mansion (the locals call it Lazarini Castle) is a typical building of Renaissance architecture. It was built in the 17th century when the Counts of Andechs, owners of the Old Castle in Smlednik, decides to build a new manor on the plain. There is a 200-metre linden avenue in front of the mansion and a park behind it. The interior is adorned with wonderful frescoes, containing fantasy scenes from Greek mythology. Until its nationalisation at the end of World War II, it was owned by the noble Lazarini family. In 1991, it was returned to the descendants of the last owners and renovated. In the winter of 2007, a fire was set in the mansion which destroyed the most beautiful hall, the Knight Hall.
Zbilje Lake and Medvode hydropower plant ,
The hydropower plant is situated above the confluence of the Sava and the Sora rivers. It was built in 1953. This is a concrete gravity dam with accumulation which serves as a compensation pool for peak operation of Mavčiče hydropower plant, situated upstream. The power plant operates in the daily run-of-the-river type and in the chain with Mavčiče hydropower plant during peak power consumption. The power of the power plant is 26 MW. It has two Kaplan turbines.
As a result of the dam, the water level of the Sava River rose for more than 20 metres and Zbilje Lake was thus created. When the dam for the power plant was being built, a bronze tube axe was found there indicating that the area was populated already in the Bronze Age. In the Roman period, important routes ran there between (today's) Primorska and Gorenjska regions. Zbilje Lake is today a popular hiking destination. Various water sports competitions have been held on the lake in the recent decades. In addition, a rich tourist and recreational offer has developed by the lake in Zbilje and Dragočajna.
Church of St Thomas in Zgornje Pirniče
The Church of St Thomas is a Gothic church which was thoroughly rebuilt in the middle of the 17th century. Next to it is a modern parish Church of the Assumption of Mary, decorated with statues of the apostles, a work of the local artist Brigita Juvan.
Church of the Holy Cross in Spodnje Pirniče
The parish Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1874 at the site of the former church from the 16th century. The chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes was built in 1884. The ground plan of the church has a shape of a cross and the ceiling is bath-shaped. There are two altars at the high arch wall. The main altar is made of stone and its statues are wooden. The stained glass windows have been brought to the church from the Ursuline Church in Ljubljana.
Birth house of the commandant Franc Rozman - Stane in Spodnje Pirniče
The birth house of the legendary national hero and commandant of the main headquarters of the National Liberation Army of Slovenia, Franc Rozman – Stane, today houses a museum. Franc Rozman died towards the end of 1944 while testing a new mortar which was sent to the partisans by the British allies. A few days later, he was pronounced a national hero. What is more, Pirniče is a birthplace of another national hero, Tine Rožanc, after whom a well-known folklore group is named.
Monument and Museum of Jakob Aljaž in Zavrh pod Šmarno goro
In the village of Zavrh pod Šmarno goro, one of the greatest Slovenians, Jakob Aljaž, was born in 1845. He was a priest, composer, mountaineer and, first and foremost, a nationally conscious Slovenian. He is remembered as a patriot who was aware of the dangers of German dominance over the Slovenians. At the top of Triglav, the highest Slovenian mountain, he bought some land with his own money. In 1895, he built there the famous tower, named after him, which soon became a Slovenian national symbol. Amidst the competition of the Slovenian and German mountaineering societies in the Julian Alps, this act was intended to demonstrate that Triglav was a Slovenian mountain. Moreover, his song "Oj, Triglav, moj dom" (Oh, Triglav, My Home) is one of the most popular Slovenian songs, not only among mountaineers but among all Slovenians. To commemorate his birthday, Medvode celebrates its municipal holiday on 6 July. The Municipality of Medvode bought his birthplace and renovated it as a cultural monument.
Avenue, Rocen Manor and the Police Academy ,
The manor dates back to the 16th century and was at first owned by the Lamberg family. It later changed many owners and was nationalised after World War II. Today it houses the administration of the Police Academy. On the outside, the manor is beautifully renovated, but the interior is, unfortunately, heavily modified. A park around the manor is also partly preserved. An avenue of oak and plane trees has been planted in the park which is, due to the age and size of the trees, incredibly beautiful and mighty.
Before glaciations, the predecessor of the Sava River flowed more northward in the west-east direction. It later made its way between Šmarna gora and Rašica and then moved its bed once again to the area between the Polhov Gradec Hills and Grmada where it still flows today as the Sava River. The water carried numerous alluvia, gravel and clay.
During the interglacial period, the Sava River contained much more water than today and it alternately deepened and deposited its riverbed. In the meantime, the riverbed moved several times. Terraces with risers were formed and are still visible today. (Risers are slopes between terraces, mostly overgrown with trees and bushes.)
World Cup kayak course
A kayak course is arranged on the rapids of the Sava River. The course is a very famous kayaking facility, as it regularly hosts World Cup races.