Church of the Assumption of Mary in Dobrova
This pilgrimage Baroque church, also called the Church of Our Lady of the Hazels, is the work of the architect Gregor Maček and was erected at the site of the older church between 1711 and 1716. According to folk tradition, this used to be the place where bricks for the nearby Emona were burnt in the Roman times. The octagonal nave and presbytery are covered by two domes and the double belfry is the work of M. Persky (1752). The high altar was made by Matevž Tomc, the Stations of the Cross were painted by Leopold Layer and the frescos by Matija Bradeško. The church in Dobrova used to be the most visited pilgrimage route in Carniola.
The cemetery surrounding the church is enclosed with a low wall; it comprises several old tombstones, a monument to the victims of World War I , monuments to important persons and events from the National Liberation Struggle (NOB) and a monument to the victims of communist violence.
Sisters of St. Mary of Miraculous Medal Convent
Since the church in Dobrova was also visited by the rich from far and near, a rectory with overnight accommodation for pilgrims was built in the second half of the 18th century. This is a three-storey building with rectangular ground plan, the main façade emphasised in the middle axis, and the entrance and double windows on the floors. The former rectory now houses the Sisters of St. Mary Convent.
Church of St. Agnes in Brezje pri Dobrovi
In its design, the church is Gothic (from the beginning of the 16th century), but it was renovated in the Baroque style in 1729 with a rectangular bath-shaped nave with a belfry and three-sided presbytery with walled-in windows, where the late-Gothic painting has been preserved. On the right, you can see a painting of St. Agnes with a lamb surrounded by vine with grapes in front of the presbytery. This additional symbolism is associated with the church which had wine tithe in Goče pri Vipavi between 1714 and 1842. There's a sundial under the gable of the south, exterior façade of the church .
Church of St. Ulrich above Podolnica
It is assumed that a prehistoric settlement used to be located at the site of the present church. In the Middle Ages, the church used to be fortified by high walls and four turrets which served as defence against the Turks. The original church was made of wood. It burnt down at the beginning of the 18th century and the new one was built in 1751. Because the Turks did not pose a threat anymore, the walls were demolished and the stones were used for the building of the new church. In 1991, under the patronage of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, a part of the walls was renovated . Two turrets with portholes have been preserved as well.
Horjul is a major nucleated village and has been the seat of the Municipality of Horjul since 1998. Although the people of Horjul fought poverty, and natural and other disasters in the previous centuries, the settlement has seen quick economic development after World War II. Today, Horjul is a place with many sole traders and craftsmen.
The village centre with its branched system of paths is located in the centre of the long and wide Horjul Valley. Roadside buildings are typical. At the Horjulščica inlet, laundry spots have been preserved. The majority of the old village with buildings covered with straw was destroyed in a fire in 1905.
...is a settlement in the Municipality of Vrhnika in the middle of the Ljubljana Marshes, between Sinja Gorica and Bevke. It is a beautiful example of a roadside village with preserved land allotment and ground building system in its central part, which represents urban heritage of the Ljubljana Marshes. Blatna Brezovica is a settlement exposed to views with a characteristic silhouette. It emerged in the 16th century. Some well preserved homesteads from the 19th century (Blatna Brezovica 11, Blatna Brezovica 32) and a centrally located open chapel with rich paintings, the work of the architect S. Ogrin, can be found in the settlement .
On the north-eastern edge of the settlement, a renovated well , which is characteristic for the area of the Ljubljana Marshes, can be found.
In the immediate vicinity of the village (on the plain north-east from the village), several pile-dwelling settlements (the sites on the fallows of Za strugo, Na mahu, Smrečnica, Lipovec, Konec, Zornica, Mušičev mah and Za Mežnarijo), which were inhabited in the fourth and third millennium BC, have been found.
Bevke is located at the solitary hills of Kostanjevica, Brdo and Gradišče. Peat for heating used to be cut in the village. In autumn or spring rains, the shortest road between Vrhnika and Ljubljana was flooded in the section between Blatna Brezovica and Bevke. Thick fog, typical of the Ljubljana Marshes, occasionally covered up accessible paths, so 'a journey to Bevke' also stands for a journey to the marshes, flooded area, or simply, a journey of ignorant people to the unknown.
Mali Plac Nature Reserve
At Mali Plac (or Mali Blatec) near Kostanjevica, one can picture, with some imagination, what the Ljubljana Marshes looked like in the past when the process of the making of peat was beginning and the marshes were still flooded. In this remote valley, the water level was artificially raised so that we now bear witness to the intensive growth of wetland plants – bulrush, sedge, yellow iris, and in some places even peat moss and sundews can be found.