Rapids in Tacen
There is a dam on the Sava River in Tacen and serves the old city power plant. The water flows over the dam and so the rapids were arranged, including a training centre and tracks for canoe slalom competitions.
The Rocen Manor
The noblemen used to live in the manor, being the only ones in the present territory of the Municipality of Ljubljana to have the headquarters as well as feudal land or manor, i.e. the land being cultivated by the serfs exclusively for the lord of the manor. This was, however, not their only source of income, the noblemen of Rocen also collected bridge toll on the wooden bridge over the Sava River.
The toll was six kreutzers (this would be called six euros today) for the large livestock – draught animals and animals not used for drawing loads –, one kreutzer for small livestock and another one for a person who crossed the bridge on foot. The toll being high was a pet hate for many, so in 1848, when the Payment for Land Act was announced which annulled the feudal social order, some looked forward to being exempt from payment. But their joy was early, much too early! The bridge toll was confirmed with the Imperial-Royal Act and was being collected until 1907 when the swollen river washed away the bridge.
Birthplace of Franc Rozman - Stane in Spodnje Pirniče
The birthplace of Franc Rozman - Stane, the legendary commander of the Slovenian partisan army, is located in Pirniče.
Birthplace of Jakob Aljaž in Zavrh
In the village of Zavrh pod Šmarno goro, one of the greatest Slovenians, Jakob Aljaž, was born in 1845. He was a priest, composer, mountaineer, but, first and foremost, he was a nationally conscious Slovenian. We remember him as a patriot who was aware of the dangers of the German influence. At the top of Triglav, the highest mountain in Slovenia, he bought some land with his own money and in 1895, erected the famous tower, named after him, which became our national symbol. Amidst the competition of the Slovenian and German mountaineering societies in the Julian Alps, this act emphasised the fact that Triglav was a Slovenian mountain. His song 'Oh, Triglav, my home' is one of the most popular Slovenian art songs, not just among the mountaineers but all Slovenians.
On the sixth of July, Aljaž's birthday, Medvode celebrate its municipal holiday. The Municipality of Medvode bought his birthplace and renovated it as a cultural monument.
Old Castle in Smlednik
The castle is situated atop the hill in the village, where there once was a prehistoric site and later a Roman fortress. The castle was first mentioned in 1136 in connection with a knight named Ulrik. The original Roman castle included a mighty free-standing defence tower, surrounded by a moat. During the mature Gothic period, the tower was enclosed by a platform, and during the following centuries, residential buildings and defence towers were built. The castle was later not rebuilt, so its design and development of the medieval castle in the Central Slovenia are shown in their purest form.
Its position was carefully selected and enabled strategic supervision of the road towards Italy and boat across the Sava River. Such locations were exploited by the skilful rulers to become rich by collecting taxes. It goes like this: 'to cover the expenses', 'to protect against robbers', 'to...' etc. - there are as many excuses and reasons as one can imagine. The money was flowing in every day. And if was not flowing, it was at least dripping. In time, a considerable amount was gathered and enabled them a comfortable life.
Kalvarija in Smlednik
Kalvarija with its 14 Baroque chapels and three crosses at the top was erected as early as 1772 in a straight line between the castle and the bloody sign on the plain near Valburga. The chapels deteriorated during the decades after World War II, but were so beautifully renovated during the recent years that the village is justifiably proud of them.
Valburga Mansion or, as the locals call it, Lazarini Castle is a typical Renaissance architecture building. It was built in the 17th century when the Counts of Andechs, owners of the Old Castle in Smlednik, admitted that going up a steep hill perhaps did not contribute to the residents' feeling better and being healthier so much, that it would be worth doing it every day, so they decided to build a new home on the plain. And they did. And what a castle it is! There is a 200-metre tree-lined alley of wild chestnuts in front of it, a castle park with a garden behind it, and beautiful frescos with fantasy images from the Greek mythology in its interior. The castle is truly beautiful. And also: until the end of World War II, it was owned by the Lazarini barons, then it was nationalised and returned to the descendents in 1991. In the winter of 2007, someone set it on fire, which ravaged the most beautiful hall – the Knight Hall.
The swamp and ponds in Hraše
The two swampy lakes or better, ponds, emerged from the abandoned clay pits. The banks are overgrown with rush and other aquatic plants and are thus perfect hiding and nesting places for numerous water birds.
The Church of St. James in Hraše
The lovely Church of St. James was first mentioned in historic documents as early as 1118.
The birthplace of Jernej Kopitar in Repnje
The birthplace of Jernej Kopitar, a great linguist and patriot, is situated in Repnje, but is unfortunately closed for the public. Kopitar studied history of the Slavic languages and collected as well as translated numerous historical data in Slovenian language and thus saved them from destruction and oblivion. The peak of his scientific and linguistic work probably represents Grammar of the Slavic language in Carniola, Carinthia and Styria. He helped his friend Vuk Karadžić with writing the Serbian grammar. The Municipality of Vodice named the municipal publication (Kopitarjev glas) and the main square (Kopitarjev trg) in the municipality after him. For many years, Kopitarjev hram Inn has been located at Kopitarjev trg square.
The Church of St. Margaret in Vodice
The great Church of St. Margaret was built after the earthquake in 1895 on the foundations of a much older predecessor. It is interesting that the original church was enclosed with the camp wall, demolished as late as 1871.
Pretzel craft in Vodice
Vodice's pretzels are made by the Jagodic family who have maintained the tradition of pretzel making since 1932. The German nuns brought the skill of baking pretzels to Dominican monastery in Adergas pri Cerkljah na Gorenjskem already in 1700. In 1782, the Emperor Joseph II abolished many monasteries, among which was also the Adergas monastery. So the pretzel craft began to spread from monasteries to the neighbouring areas. Today, they are made according to the old Adergas recipe only in Vodice in the Jagodic Bakery.
The Vodice pretzel is made of dough, i.e. flour, water, yeast and salt. It is wrapped three times and has a specific figure-of-eight shape. The speciality of those pretzels, whose method of preparation has been kept secret for a long time, is that they are cooked before baking. This gives them a typical glitter and better permanence. No additives are used during the preparation of the dough in Jagodic Bakery. Firm and crunchy pretzels are decorated with crystals of salt, giving them a specific taste. Fresh pretzels are kept in the air in order to last longer. With ageing they become more tough and crunchy and must not be bitten, but broken into pieces. It is then, that they melt in our mouths.
Pretzels used to be a constant feature on the wooden stands at restaurants and are nowadays a part of every municipal celebration or fire-fighting party (and others). They can also be found in some mountain huts and inns. Pretzels are popular among the old and the young, many buyers carried the Vodice pretzel into Europe and around the world.
Each day, Vodice pretzels are baked according to the good old Adergas recipe. Salty and crunchy pretzels go best with a glass of wine or a good cup of tea.
The fishing pond in Koseze
Clay used to be dug in the area of the present pond. Hence the cave, flooded by the near well, emerged. The clay was transported to Komenda where pottery and stove making were quite frequent. Stream Graben, also called Dobrova, flows from the pond. Koseze pond emerged approximately 200 years ago. It is 300 metres long and 100 metres wide at its widest part. The depth of the pond does not exceed two metres. Prior to World War I, the ice was broken in the winter time and was used by the innkeepers for cooling beverage and meat. Twenty years ago, the pond was cleaned and deepened. Medvode fishing family managed the pond as fishing water for its members and other fishermen. In 1993, the pond dried out for some time. Swimming in the pond is not recommended due to muddy water, it is, however, popular among fishermen for its diversity of fish: carp, grass carp, sheatfish, tench, crucian carp, common rudd, zander and even freshwater crayfish. The biggest carp ever caught in Koseze pond supposedly weighted over 15 kilograms. Past the pond, a walking path leads to the tourist spot, Mengeš cottage.
The ruins of the Šinkov Turn Castle
On the north foot of Rašica, few kilometres from Vodice, lays the village Šenkov Turn. The village got its name after the Šenkov Turn Castle and the latter got it after his first owner, Schenk. In 1250, Schenk had the high tower and strong defence wall erected.
The castle had many different owners. Amidst the 17th century, the original tower was brought down and a new manor was erected, having been rebuilt many times afterward. In 1632, the castle was bought and renovated by Andrej Hren. After his death, Tomaž Hren, bishop of Ljubljana, became its owner. Prior to World War II, school was organised in the castle. The castle had a shape of a triangular building with arcade courtyard. In 1943, the partisans burnt down the castle. After the war, the castle was being slowly demolished and the stones were used as construction material.
The plague sign at Vojsko
The sign is situated between Skarčuna and Povodje and was most probably erected in 1668. It is entirely carved out of sandstone. A pillar is placed on the round pedestal and it supports a triangular chapel with semicircular openings which carry the traces of pictures. The chapel has a low pyramid roof with a massive dual cross atop. The sources claim there is but few so interesting signs as this one.
Povodje Fishing Farm
It is possible to buy fresh fish at the fishing farm, and the enthusiastic fishermen can catch their own fish there.